Menu Close

I had my CAT scan this morning and can I just say my mind has come up with all sorts of possible outcomes to the test, none of which are good. Figures I’d be more paranoid once I actually had the test than I was just suffering unexplainable pain. And wouldn’t you know I had a migraine the second my head was locked in place? Maybe that will be a good thing, target the issue easier since it was in action. I remember when I was a kid and would get sick it’d never seem like I could even make myself cough once I was at the doctor’s office, but couldn’t stop coughing once I got home. Today was one of those rare moments when my reason for being there was actually present.

For those of you that don’t know how CAT scans work, let me fill you in. First they start an IV with saline and lay you down in this freezing cold room. They asked me if I wanted a blanket several times, but for some reason I kept turning it down. I’m not sure why because I was so cold my skin was covered in goose bumps. Anyway, they tape your head into place and tell you that you can’t move even the slightest until the test is over (which overall takes about 15 minutes). You wouldn’t think it’d be that hard to lie so still for such a short time at 7:30 in the morning, when you’re still in that sleepy haze, but you’d be wrong.

You close your eyes and they run the scan over your head, the table you’re laying on shifts forward and backwards while the scanner spins around you. Once the first tests are finished they pump a contrast through the IV, loaded with Iodine which immediately shocks your body with a warm sensation. Basically you feel like you’re peeing yourself, but no worries you aren’t. Regardless it’s very uncomfortable. They make you stay like that for 5 minutes before they run the scan again. When you’re completely finished they wrap your arm in a bright colored tape and send you on your way telling you to drink PLENTY of water to flush the Iodine out of your system. Needless to say I’ve drank a ridiculous amount of water today, and consequently pee’d too many times to count at this point.

And so now I wait 24-48 hours for results. They say if it’s something really bad they’ll call me sooner. I’m sure my mind will continue to come up with all sorts of possibilities while I wait because well… I’m sort of a hypochondriac in that way. I’ll report back later once I know something.

Peace – Sarah